Wednesday, July 4, 2018

1776: AARON THOMAS, Continental Soldier

5th Great Grandfather: Aaron Thomas (1754 Preston City, CT-1825 Dearborn, MI)
Continental Colors 1776

"Resolved, That the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation."
(14 June 1777, Continental Congress)

In late 1775, young Aaron Thomas answered the call to arms, enlisting in the Continental Army only months after “the shot heard round the world” was fired at Lexington and Concord. The Revolutionary War of Independence had begun. As a soldier in the 10th Regiment of the Connecticut Line, Aaron helped to found a new nation, no longer identified by the Union Jack, but not yet identified with thirteen stars and stripes.

Our family can trace its heritage back seven generations to the birth of this new nation, with a number of Revolutionary soldiers as great-great-great-great-great grandfathers -some of whom were already fourth-generation Americans, like Aaron Thomas -father of Michigan pioneer, Alanson Thomas.

As we celebrate our country’s road to independence, paved by people like Aaron, let us not forget that generations of our family defined and defended the freedoms we enjoy today. Although only a few details of Aaron’s life are revealed in the following requests for a military service pension, it does suggest that his life was fraught with hardships, necessitating repeated applications to the government for financial assistance based on the Revolutionary Claim Act of 1818. In 1820 he was granted a monthly pension of $8.

(Transcript of documents below)

Territory of Michigan
County of Wayne

On this 18th day of July 1820, personally appeared in open Court, being a Court of record for said County, Aaron Thomas, aged sixty seven years, resident in Detroit in said County, who being first duly sworn according to Law doth on his oath declared, though that he served in the revolutionary war, as follows, that he enlisted in a Company commanded by Captain Ebenezer Brewster, in the Regiment commanded by Col. Parsons, in the Connecticut line, in December, 1775, & that he continued in the Service until December 1776, when he was discharged; that his original declaration, for a pension, under this act of Congress of the 18th of March, 1818 was dated the 20th day of March 1819; that he has received as pension certificate, under the act aforesaid numbering 14894.
And I do solemnly swear, that I was a resident citizen of the United States, on the 18th of March 1818, and that I have not, since that time, by gift sale or in any manner, disposed of my property or any part thereof, with intent thereby so to diminish it as to bring myself within the provisions of an act of Congress, entitled “an act to provide for certain persons, engaged in the Land & naval Services of the United States, in the revolutionary war,” passed the 18th Day of March, 1818 and that I have not, nor has any person, in trust for me, any property or securities, contracts or debts due to me, nor have I any Income, other than is contained in the Schedules hereunto annexed.
To wit, Two Cows, one ass, one hoe, one scythe, one rake, & one pitchfork. (signature) Aaron Thomas.

I also declare, and state, that my occupation is that of a Farrier, that from infirmity, I am unable to obtain as livelihood by it, that my family consists of myself and wife.

[ONE YEAR EARLIER]
(by different hand) I Aron Thomas declare and state, that I was born in Preston in the State of Connecticutt -that I am now and always have been a citizen of the United States- that on, or about the first day of January 1776- I enlisted into a company in the Continental Army of the Revolution, commanded by Capt. Ebenezer Brewster, in Col. Parsons Regiment, in which company I continued to serve for the term of twelve months, and was discharged in the State of New Jersey-
I have now no written discharge to exhibit- I never received any pension -am Sixty Six years of age, in reduced circumstances and stand in need of support from my Country- I have no other evidence now in my power, of the aforesaid service—
Detroit 23d March 1819~ (signature) Aron Thomasse

Territory of Michigan
Detroit 23d March 1819
I James Witherell, one of the Judges in and over the Territory aforesaid do certifie that Aron Thomas signed and made oath to the above declaration as containing the truth, according to his best recollection before me— and I further certifie that I well know him to be indigent circumstances the annexed is the Seal of the Supreme Court of the Territory--- (signature) J.Witherell
Pension details for Aaron Thomas

NOTE: land purchase: Aaron Thomas 1754-1825 (son of Aaron and Zipporah) purchased 437.60 acres of land from the US Government in 1808 in the River Rouge/Dearborn/Detroit area of Wayne County, Michigan. (source record to be verified)
Page 1 Pension Application 1820

Page 2 (top) Pension Application 1820

Pension Request 1819

1 comment:

  1. So glad to find this. I have been researching the Thomas branch of my father's family and am amazed to find such a rich history!

    ReplyDelete