Wednesday, March 6, 2013


Elizabeth's Neck, Greenwich Connecticut (circled)
*NOTE: We are related to Elizabeth "Winthrop Woman" Fones and Robert Feake through BOTH sides of the Glover-Smith families.  (Glover/Myers through the Quaker Horner family) (Smith/Emerine through Watson to Townsend.)
On 18 July 1640, all the land between the Asamuck and Potommuck brooks was purchased from area Native Americans for “twentie-five coates.” Now known as Old Greenwich, this property was bought in the name of New Haven Colony by Daniel Patrick, Robert Feake and his wife Elizabeth Fones Winthrop Feake.  
This transaction was recorded in a deed that stated, in part: 
"We Amogerone and Owenoke, Sachems of Asamuck; and Ramatthone, Nawthorne, Sachems of Totomack have sould unto Robert Feakes and Daniell Patricke all their rights and interests in all ye several lands between Asamuck river and Totomack ...except ye neck by ye indians called Monakewaygo, by us Elizabeth Neck, which neck is yet peticaler perchace of Elizabeth Feaks, ye said Robert Feake his wife to be hers and her heaires or assigns forever..." (from The Winthrop Woman, page 409-410)]

According to a professional timeline done for another Greenwich pioneer, Robert Husted, the following supporting facts were recorded:
"July 18, 1640. Robert Husted, and Andrew Messenger witness the main land deed purchase of Greenwich by Daniel Patrick and Robert Feake. Jefery Ferris also received land on this docusment, with Angell Heusted and Richard Williams as witnesses. Elizabeth, the wife of Robert Feake, was given an area of land called Monekewego by the Indians, already named Elizabeth Neck on the document." 
What is now 'Greenwich Point' was originally called ‘Monakewago’ and known for much of the area's early history as 'Elizabeth's Neck' in recognition of its first colonial owner, Elizabeth Feake. 
Since assurance of protection under the New Haven Colony was uncertain and the fact that the Dutch still claimed this region, the early settlers agreed in 1642 to become part of the West India Company’s colony of New Netherland. Greenwich was therefore considered a “manor,” under the local leadership of its “patroons,” Captain Patrick and Robert Feake. Greenwich officially remained a part of the Dutch colony until 1650 with the Treaty of Hartford which placed Greenwich back under the control of New Haven Colony.
It wasn’t long before the lifestyle of Greenwich residents drew criticism from the strict Puritan colonial officials due to complaints that they “live in a disorderly and riotous manner, sell intoxicating liquors to the Indians, receive and harbor servants who have fled their masters, and join persons unlawfully in marriage.”
[This last point likely referred to the scandal of Elizabeth Feake 'marrying' William Hallett without legal divorce from Feake, who had to return to England and left Hallett in charge of his estate. Elizabeth's cousin/brother-in-law Jack Winthrop helped to formalize this situation, despite a child being born prior to official documentation of Elizabeth's 3rd legal marriage, to Hallett.] 
As a consequence, Greenwich was required to become a part of “role model” Stamford. It took years before the General Assembly in Hartford allowed Greenwich to become a separate township known for supplying locally grown produce to packet boats.
[Toby/Tobias Feake, nephew of Robert, was the son of Robert's brother James.  Toby followed Robert to America and piloted his boat "Dolphin" along the coastline between the English and Dutch colonies.  After the death of Daniel Patrick, Toby married his widow, Anneken.]

  Photo: Marker located midway down "Elizabeth's Neck"
(Inscription reads: "On July 18, 1640, Daniel Patrick and Robert Feaks landed on these shores in the name of the New Haven Colony to start anew settlement, later called Greenwich. This neck of land is called Elizabeth’s Neck after Mrs. Feaks") 
Related Reading: 
The Winthrop Woman, Anya Seton (1958 historical fiction)

No comments:

Post a Comment